Wednesday, January 12, 2011

My great disdain of e-books.

I’m going to school online at the Art Institute of Pittsburgh. I enjoy my accelerated classes, because you start the class and next thing you know, it’s all over. However, now, they offer ‘e-books’. Meaning, my required reading is a book that I have to sit at my desk top computer to read. At least when I had regular paper books I could wander around with it. Read it while I was waiting at my doctor’s office, or on lunch break at work. Now though, I can’t do that. So when I finally get home from doing whatever I had to leave the house to do, I still have to sit and read on the computer for a couple of hours before even getting to do my homework.
You would think that because people take online classes to make their lives easier and be able to do their work whenever/wherever, it would make sense to lat the students do their work wherever they felt comfortable. I used to do my homework reading while I was sitting in the bathroom monitoring Jillie’s bath time, or on the couch while she played with Barbie’s, or at the table while waiting for dinner to cook, or at lunch at work, you get the idea. Now, I feel like I am chained to my computer. You can imagine my frustration and aggravation.

((Image from: http://toostep.com/insight/very-dangerous---ways-your-job-can-reduce-your-life-span ))

4 comments:

  1. Do you know what format the books are in, file-wise? 'Cause if you can download them and toss them on an e-book reader, that might be a wise investment. Considering the subject, I'd say one of the color Nook readers or, gods forfend, an iPad because they'll be able to display full color pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi William. Thanks for the suggestion. While I am fairly certain that downloading my books are an option, I have two minor problems with an e-reader. The first being that I do not own one, and I don't really have the money to buy one right now. The second being that it is still reading off a screen, only one that is a bit more portable. Though, I am thinking that as soon as I get enough money to buy an e-reader, it's probably my best bet at surviving this whole "e-book" thing without completely losing my mind. I am totally leaning more towards an iPad though. When I can finally get one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there,

    SO I finally remembered to look at your blog, so here I am. I'm at work and this is as far as I can read write now cuz I'm off soon. But I love that your doing this! And it sounds like you need to save money for an ipad! Maybe start a donation pot going!?!? ;o) And do you know that William person?? Or did they just happen to randomly come on your blog?? Loves you and I will finish readying your blogs this weekend. The next one seems...like one I should not quickly read thru. So I will take my time at home.

    lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kerry!
    Actually, I have no idea who William is, but, I was still excited to get a comment, even if it was from someone I may or may not know. :) I love following your and Charlie's chronicles, and will continue to read your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete